Sunday, 30 October 2011

'Songs of the Sea'...
As it is the final day of the exhibition I have taken part at the National Glass Centre, I thought I would post a few photographs from the exhibition, kindly forwarded onto myself by the staff at the gallery. The exhibition ran from July 21st to October 30th.

This photograph shows a piece by Brazilian artist Laura Belem, 'The Temple of a Thousand Bells' is an installation of 1,000 blown glass bells with an accompanying soundtrack inspired by an ancient legend about a temple which housed a thousand ringing bells that sank into the ocean and of a young sailor who sat for days by the sea hoping to catch the sound of the melodious bells again. The absence of clappers within the glass bells is why a soundtrack is required, and it echoes the sense of loss within the ancient legend. The overall work reflects the musicality and mystery within the plethora of legends and mythical stories connected with the sea.

This photograph shows the work of Susan Collins, 'Seascape'. It involved the projection of live footage of the sea, shown at the De La Warr Pavilion, Bexhill-on-Sea, commissioned by Film and Video Umbrella and the De La Warr Pavilion. Seascape involves a similar projection of live images the mouth of the river Wear, as filmed from the inside of the National Glass Centre, through the riverfront windows. These images are digitally transferred into the gallery space pixel by pixel, producing a constantly changing image in response to the ebb and flow of the untameable North Sea.

Richard Marquis exhibits his 'Razzle Dazzle Boat' collection, an example of the use of fused and wheel carved glass in a slab technique. It is technique which interests Marquis, and many of his works are intentionally void of social or personal meaning. Boats are an image used often in his collections, which span decades of practice in glass sculpting. 

...And finally my book. I am really happy to have had some of my work on display to the public so soon and am thrilled with the feedback and interest the exhibition has generated in my work. Thank you to the folks at the National Glass Centre for sending me these photographs, and for inviting me to be a part of such a lovely exhibition.



2 comments:

  1. It looks really good! Wish I had made it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The exhibition looked good, thank you for posting the best bits (and keeping the best till last of course). I would have liked to have seen it but unfortunately time flies by and a lot of thing become “if I had only” moments. I will try to get to see your next exhibition.

    ReplyDelete